Monday, February 28, 2011

Don't Judge the Soup By the Amount of Leftovers





Yum.  I just quite possibly made the world's best pot of tomato soup.  I've been seeking a recipe for awhile now that could stand up to my favorite restaurant versions and I think I finally did just that.  Usually when you see these many leftovers, it is a sign that the dinner didn't taste so good.  Here's what I got to say: don't judge the soup by the amount of leftovers because this soup was delicious.  I made one huge pot so that I could freeze individual portions for lunches during the week.  Not only was this soup delicious, but it is budget friendly as well.  We paired our bowls of soup with grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches.  My son said, "this tastes good" and we saw the bottom of his bowl (rare these days).   

Everyday foods has a version called classic tomato soup on their website and they also featured a similar version in their current magazine issue.  I just made a few tweaks.  Here is my version:

Tomato Soup

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons EVOO
1 large red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup flour
3 Tablespoons tomato paste (although next time I'll just use the whole small can)
2- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes in heavy puree with basil
2- 14.5 oz cans of chicken broth
1/4 cup heavy cream

Put butter and EVOO in a dutch oven, once butter is melted add diced onions.  Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat.  Once soft, add garlic.  Season with S&P.  Add flour, cook for about 1 minute.  Add tomato paste, cook 1 minute.  Add crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add cream near the end before serving.

The soup moves fast once you start putting things in the pot.  To avoid the flour and tomato paste from burning, open up all your cans before beginning the cooking process and then just dump them in the pot when your ready for them.  Next time I might add just a pinch of sugar to the pot to give it just a hint of sweetness.  Because I used the crushed tomatoes, I didn't see a need for the immersion blender.  In a house where I am the dishwasher, this step saves me clean up time.

No comments:

Post a Comment