Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Directions Are For Other People

Mexican Lasagna

The only time I usually follow a recipe exactly is when I am baking and even then I don't follow them very closely.  I think directions were written for other people.  Yes, I'm one of THOSE people. That's me.  I think directions were written to confuse and frustrate me.  I view most recipes as a guide or a reference point and therefore rarely follow them exactly as written.  Tonight's meal was a perfect example of my independence.  Mel over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe  made this great looking Mexican Lasagna and I just had to tweak it before even giving hers a chance.  It was delicious.  I don't even need to try her version because I'll be making mine over and over again.

Mexican Lasagna 
makes enough for 6-8 people
preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 lbs ground turkey
1 large red onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
6 oz tomato paste
3 Tablespoons cumin
salt & pepper (to taste)
28 oz tomato sauce
14 oz diced tomatoes, drained
15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn
2.5 oz black olives, drained

12 flour tortilla
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz cream cheese

Toppings:
sour cream
green onions
cilantro

In large skillet, cook turkey and onions.  Once meat is cooked, add garlic and cumin.  Once fragrant, add tomato paste.  Season with S&P.  Then add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, and olives.  In a 13X9 inch pan, spoon meat mixture into the bottom of the pan (enough to cover pan).  Cover with three tortilla (you might have to cut some in half to fit pan), top with more meat sauce, 1/2 cup of each of the shredded cheeses, and chunks of cream cheese (cut off pieces and scatter around the layer).  Repeat the process several times (I think I did a total of four layers).  End with meat sauce and remaining shredded cheeses on top.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes covered with tin foil.  Remove tin foil and cook for another 5-10 minutes.  Serve with sour cream, cilantro, green onions and a big glass of milk. 

Enjoy.  I don't expect you to follow my directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment