Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Teacher's Pet



My mom bought me a sewing machine about 5 years ago....it is still in the box!  Embarrassing, huh?  Well, not any more.  For six weeks in May and June I took a sewing class and I finally know where the power button is on a sewing machine (and that it even has one)! Seriously, my skills were so basic that I couldn't even turn my machine on, I tried once and I failed (miserably). 

 My first class project was a pillow.  Nice and simple.  I made the pillow for my son.  Since giving it to him, he has been taking it with him everywhere.  He sleeps with it every night.  I would say project number one = success!



I have also finished my second project.  It is a set of finger puppets.  I fell in love with these little cuties when I first saw them on Capture the moment and knew that this would have to be one of my very first projects to try my new learned sewing skills on.  They were a bit harder than they looked but once I gave up on trying to make them look so perfect, they started to look....er, well..... perfect. I'll be making these little puppets over and over again.  In fact, I think I am going to add to the collection, perhaps I'll design a couple of my own because you never really can have too many finger puppets laying around the house.  I think a giraffe, or elephant, or zebra would make a cute addition to this set....we'll see.

My sewing teacher told me that I was her best student.  It's funny, how some things never change.  I seem to have a knack for being the teacher's pet, even after all these years of being out of school.  I really am not a suck up, I just truly love learning.  Sewing is one of the hardest skills I have learned in a very long time...perhaps just behind learning how to be a good mother.



3 comments:

  1. Cute!!!! I like this hobby... just let me know when you can get started on that purse for me ;p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Ericka!! Those all look great!! Maybe you can teach me how to sew after we move there!

    ReplyDelete