Monday, January 30, 2012

Give Thanks


I really have a lot to be thankful for.  I have a good husband, a great kid, an extended family that loves me, a steady job, a hobby I really enjoy, and friends that are there for me in good times and in bad.  That's why this month's card class focused around gratitude...and lots of it.


 The card above is was my favorite of the bunch and utilized a stamping technique I have been wanting to try for awhile now: impression plate trick.  This technique is achieved by laying a die on top of an impression plate and running it through your embossing machine.  You need to be very careful about layering the dies correctly, if you are not careful you could end up wrecking both the impression plate and your die.  A great video tutorial can be found here:  impression plate trick.   This card was really fun, I have plans to make a similar one with a Valentine's day theme, watch my etsy shop for it real soon!


This next card makes me dream of nice warm summer nights.  Oh warm weather....I miss you so much.  But let's get real people, I don't need warm weather to eat this heavenly stuff, I eat ice cream year round :)


Oh yeah, this card is more appropriate for our season.  I made this card with a specific person in mind.  My husband's aunt sent us some nice Christmas gifts in the mail (including some chex mix that tasted so good I didn't even share any) and I thought a nice thank you card was in order (and a request for that recipe). 


Why yes, that is a smudge on this otherwise perfectly fine card (see it, in the upper right corner).  I always tell my students that mistakes like these are ok, they are just character marks of the artist, but I have to tell you, this smudge is DRIVING ME CRAZY and I'm not going to lie, this card is going to go to one of our grandmas who have less than perfect vision and will hopefully miss that smudge all together. 


I love the cuteness of this card.  I also enjoyed listening to my son try to say hip-pi-pi-pod-a-mus at the sight of this card. Hippos and lions and thanks, oh my.


Here is my Picasso watercolor.  Actually it is Betsy Veldman's creation.  I found this while surfing the web for inspiration and just loved it.  I actual like her version much better but since we were creating this in a card class, sewing on the card was not practical.  To achieve the look of watercolors, wipe your ink across your stamp pad sideways instead of inking it up and down. Make sense?  Super easy technique.


I don't have a lot to say about this card.  I was going for minimalist.  I think I achieved it.  If you enlarge the picture, you'll pick up the wood grain background.  Super easy and super cute.


Here is a simple banner card.  Once I stamped all the individual banners, I hole punched each corner and ran baker's twine through them.  I used foam dots on each so that this card has a little dimension to it. 

Did you notice the over riding theme behind all of the cards this month (besides for the fact that I already mentioned that they were thank you cards)?  All had a lot of white space on them.  Some more than others, but all had the color white as the over riding color.

I hope you find time in the near future to thank all those in your life that make it a little better!

No comments:

Post a Comment