Sunday, March 11, 2012

Hiding Vegetables


For all you parents out there, you know exactly where this post is going, don't you?  Ha.  I swear my son was a good eater until he turned two years of age and decided he was in charge of what he would and would not eat!  So, in a never ending pursuit to find ways to sneak vegetables into his meals, I made these fantastic kale raviolis using wonton wrappers.  I found the recipe in the March 2012 issue of the Everyday Food magazine (my favorite food magazine).  Here is an online link.  


 These are so simple to make and are loaded with kale.  If you are not a huge fan of kale (or you have never tried it) this is a great recipe for you!  There really isn't a strong flavor to it, it really was just a carrier to all that yummy cheese.  Oh heaven.  These babies were topped with some marinara sauce and a nice big salad.


Speaking of carrier, we saw some real cute camels at the zoo.  The weather was great this weekend.  High around 60 degrees.  We took full advantage of the nice weather and got outside for some fresh air.  

 I caught the polar bear playing with the ball in mid air.  This bear was just as happy as we were about the great weather.  He was making quite a scene playing with that ball.  How do you like my pictures, nice right?  I got a new camera for Valentine's day and the zoo was a great place to test it out.  For some odd reason, animals seem to hold their pose longer than my three year old.  Silly boy.



I also made this great orange cashew rice  from my favorite food blog, Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  If you are having a hankering for some fried rice but want to avoid all the fat, you should really try this.  It was so delicious.  I paired it with some baked tilapia.

 
Here we are eating dinner.  I'm not a fish fan, can you tell?  It didn't ruin my night though.  That rice was so yummy I hid the fish inside of it and it went right down the hatch with no problems.  Lucky for me, my two boys LOVE fish so I try to keep it on the menu for them. That rice really was very delicious.


I also turned out what I think was our best dinner all week {by accident}.  I wasn't in the mood to cook and I didn't menu plan so I had to wing it.  I hate winging it because it usually ends in some failed attempt at a poorly constructed meal but this one surprised even me.   I baked some frozen chicken breasts in aluminum foil pouches along with a envelope of some Mexican Fiesta seasoning.


While the chicken was baking I made a nice creamy polenta with Parmesan cheese and some {Wisconsin} honey glazed carrots to go on the side.  When the chicken came out of the oven, I sliced it and poured it (with its juices) right over the top of a nice scoop of polenta and DINNER WAS SERVED.

I've also been busy preparing for my son's 4th birthday party.  It is coming up fast.  He is having some friends over and we're crossing our fingers we won't be in the hospital celebrating this year!  I'll give you a little clue as to this year's theme.  It is going to be a "super" fun party filled with lots of 'marvel'ous games.  More to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment