Sunday, April 10, 2011

More Than Paper, Glue, Eggs, and Flour


When I started this blog back in the cold winter months, I forgot that I have a third hobby in my life: gardening.  Today's warm 80 degree weather reminded me of my passion and had me spending most of the day outside enjoying it.  Isn't this a gorgeous picture?  It feels like those green chives are going to leap right off the page and into the next dish I make.  Today was a big deal for us Wisconsinites.  We have been stuck in our houses for the last five months and today we got a small taste of summer.  It won't last long, they are predicting that the awful white stuff might make an appearance by next weekend. 


Posted above is what my garden looked like before I gave it a little TLC. It's been a  LONG winter.


Here is what my garden looks like after I cleaned all the garbage and debris out of it.  Even Breuer is tempted by those spring greens popping up!  Last year I planted several different varieties of perennial herbs so I am excited to see which will be coming back this year.  My dad has a very large garden (maybe a  1/4 of an acre)  and it is only him and my mom at home, which means, I don't have a need to plant a lot of veggies.  This is great because with a small city lot and a three year old running around the house, there isn't a lot of spare time to tend to a veggie garden.  This small boxed garden will be devoted to herbs like: chives, oregano, rosemary, cilantro, lots of flat leaf parsley & basil. That's right folks, I am more than just paper, glue, eggs, and flour.






All of us were really excited to be outside today.  Everyone except Breuer.  Look at him hiding in the shade in this picture.  You can't blame him really.  If I was 85 lbs and covered in fur, I wouldn't be too happy about it either.  Poor Breuer is left wondering when old man winter will return.  Sorry doggy, maybe another day!  Johnathan on the other hand had a great time rediscovering the sandbox.  I'm glad he finally got over last year's weirdness of not going outside barefooted (he would cry bloody murder at the thought of no shoes).

I'm really looking forward to getting dirty in my garden and to get out to those farmers markets again this year!  Post me a comment below telling me what you are looking forward to with the warm weather ahead.  I'll pick one random winner from the comments to get a little prize sent to them in the mail.  In order to be eligible, you must post your comment before 11:59pm 4/11/11.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know that I need a prize, but we're more than tripling the size of our garden this year, and I'm pretty excited about it. You can read all about it at wigarden.blogspot.com.

    We should get together one of these days.

    ReplyDelete