Friday, January 20, 2012

New School. New Boots.







It appears our transition from day care to school is going well.  We are in our second week of our new routine with only a few minor glitches.  The change has been relatively easy for our son.  Easy that is until the snow fell.  It is fairly unusual not to see snow at this time of year in the state of Wisconsin but it took until this past week for us to have any snow on the ground.  With the snow came new winter boots.  With new winter boots came a lot of talk about wanting to show our OLD friends our NEW boots. Man oh man, I felt for him.  I could tell he really wanted to show off those cool light-up boots (I mean come on, who wouldn't?) and showing them to his new friends was just not as fun as showing them to his old friends.  So later in the week when we had a dentist appointment (the dentist's office is located right next to the old day care), I thought it provided an excellent opportunity to stop in and say "hi" to his old friends and show off those new boots.  When I asked him if he wanted to go in and say "hi", he said, "No I don't want to.  I go to a new school now".  Kids. They never stop surprising you.
 

As for me; I'm adjusting just fine.  As a parent, you learn to do what you got to do even if it isn't the easiest path to take.  While our new routine isn't ideal for me, it really isn't about me.  This is about providing the best educational opportunity for our child that we have available to us.  We felt a Montessori education was just that. While there are some negatives about our new routine, there are far more great things that have come out of this change.  I feel like I get to spend more quality time with my son.  Until last week, I never saw my son until I picked him up from day care after work.  Some days that felt like an eternity.  Now, we get up together, get dressed together, eat breakfast together, and drive to school together.  Most mornings that has been great :)  Especially once he got over the:  "Daddy says..." and  "Daddy does..." and "Daddy this..." and "Daddy that...". 


 I managed my stress the same way I always do.  I did a lot of crafting and a lot of cooking.  I made this cute Valentine's Day Card.  I call it, "Love is in the Air". Cute, right?  It is for sale in my etsy shop if you want it:  Furloughed Time.  It is there with a bunch of other cute items.  I'll be posting even more Valentine's Day items soon so check back often.

 

On the food front, I made these Meatballs with Cream Sauce from Mel's website:  Melskitchencafe.    They were great.  The recipe also made enough that my husband and I could take the leftovers for lunch the next day (I love recipes like that).  If you haven't checked out her website you really should.  My friend Heather pointed this blog out to me about a year ago and I have been cooking from it ever since.  I love Mel's recipes.  They are so easy and delicious.  What else would you expect from a mom of four little boys?


I also made the Country Style Pork with White Beans.  This makes a TON which is great because I cooked once and we ate the leftovers all weekend long! 



   No need to worry.  We found ways to also satisfy our sweet tooth.  These Oatmeal Coconut Chewies were great.   These are delicious if you like coconut as much as I do. I made these cookies two days ago and there are still some left.  Hmmm....I'm a little suspicious.  That is not very characteristic of my two cookie monsters (esp the older one...daddy).  There are only two logical explanations:  1. My husband is cheating on me with a cookie maker or 2. My husband is not a big coconut fan.  Let's hope it is option number 1 because I'm not sure I could live with a man who doesn't like coconut.  :) Haha.

Stay tuned.  I'm getting really close to finishing one of my twelve New Year's resolutions and I'll be blogging about it here real soon.  Until then, check out Mel's Kitchen Cafe, that should keep you busy until I return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment